THE WHITE HOUSE ANNOUNCED ON 15 NOVEMBER THAT AS OF 8 NOVEMBER, VACCINATED AND PCR-NEGATIVE TRAVELLERS WILL BE ABLE TO TRAVEL TO THE USA
"The new EEUU travel policy requiring vaccinations for foreign travellers to the United States will begin on November 8. This announcement and date applies to both international air and ground travellers," White House spokesman Kevin Munoz said on Friday 15/10/2021 in a message on his official Twitter account.
These travel restrictions, initially implemented by expresident Donald Trump (2017-2021), had been in place since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and had been in place until the current President, Joe Biden, became President in January this year.
In today’s blog post we cover the new mobility restrictions for travel to the USA from November.
What requirements are necessary to travel to the USA?
As announced by the White House spokesperson on Friday 15 November, as of 8 November, citizens of the European Union, the Schengen area, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, China, Iran, South Africa and India can now travel to the USA under the following conditions:
- Full course of vaccination against COVID-19 and diagnostic test for disease (negative PCR test) before taking flight to the USA
However, the requirements are not the same for USA travellers as for international travellers.
International travellers, in addition to having a full COVID-19 vaccination schedule and a diagnostic test for disease, i.e. having a PCR test prior to travel to the US, should be aware of these requirements:
- International travellers may have to present a negative PCR test for return to their country of origin, if required.
- In addition, airlines are allowed to issue contact tracing orders to prevent outbreaks during travel. During the flight, the traveller will be asked for the contact telephone number, email address and hotel or place of stay.
What are the requirements for USA citizens?
USA citizens who do not have a full vaccination schedule, before returning to their country, must prove a negative PCR test just before leaving the United States and another upon arrival. They must also undergo a mandatory quarantine.
If they have the full vaccination schedule, they must follow the same indications as above but are exempt from the respective quarantine days.
What vaccines does the USA accept for entry into the country?
Although the United States has opened its borders to citizens, whether for business or tourism, not all vaccines are permitted for travel to the United States.
The vaccines accepted by the USA and those on the World Health Organisation’s emergency use list are as follows:
- Pfiser/BioNtech – approved for emergency use by WHO by 31 December 2020
- AstraZe4neca (from AstraZeneca/Ofxord) – approved for emergency use on 16 February 2021
- Janssen (of Johnson & Johnson) – approved on 12 March 2021
- Modern – approved on 30 April 2021
- Sinopharm – approved on 7 May 2021
- Sinovac-Coronavac – approved on 1 June 2021
In addition to the full vaccination schedule, what documentation is required for entry into the USA?
However, having a complete vaccination and a negative PCR test before boarding the plane is not enough for the USA to let you enter in USA territory
Here have got a list of all documentation that you need to travel to the USA:
- Passport: must not have an expiry date inferior a 6 mounth before of travel
- If you are not an EU citizen, you will need to apply for a visa: at expatfeliu we can help you with your visa application and the preparation of the documentation.
- If you are an EU citizen, and depending on the reason for your trip, you may be exempt from applying for a visa but you will need to apply for an ESTA: Expatfeliu can help you with the ESTA application for your trip to the USA.
Expatfeliu can help you to apply for all the documentation you need to travel to the USA.
If you want more information about our services, you can leave us your contact details in our application form or, if you wish, you can send us an email to comunicación@feliu.biz and our advisors specialised in foreigners will contact you as soon as possible.