The student visa is a residence authorization that allows non-EU citizens to stay in Spain while they study in public or private educational centers, carry out research in the country or participate in some type of training.

It is very important to bear in mind that the student visa is exclusively for citizens from outside the European Union.

The stay for studies is only an authorization to reside in Spain for the duration of the course, it is not a regular residence permit.

However, with the reform of the immigration regulations, it has become a great option for non-EU citizens. It allows you to work, automatically, 30 hours per week, and once you complete your studies (no matter how long they last), you will be able to change to a work permit in an easy and comfortable way.

However, you cannot obtain a student visa if you are from the European Union, since it is not required according to article 44 of the Royal Decree 557/2011 which states that all students from the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland can stay in Spain while studying without a visa. This also applies to family members brought with them after a joint application.

It should be noted that it is possible to apply for the authorization of stay for studies while being a tourist in Spain, i.e. non-EU citizens can enter Spain with a tourist visa, enroll in the course and obtain the authorization of stay for studies, as long as they are not in an illegal situation in the country.


If you want more information about the student visa or you are interested in obtaining it, do not hesitate to contact us. Our experts in the field will help and advise you.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*