One of the measures that Spain has adopted to facilitate the return of nationals living abroad is the possibility that they can access the same benefits recognized to nationals living in Spain, within a framework of equal rights, recognizing the right to compute in Spain the years contributed in another country.
In order to be able to access the different benefits provided by the Law, such as retirement, disability or unemployment. As regards the latter, it will be sufficient to accredit, together with other requirements, the return to Spain from another country, since this situation in itself is part of the legal causes of unemployment required by the Law.
In particular, the Spanish citizen once returned to Spain from the United Kingdom and in the case of not finding an employment activity, may apply for unemployment benefits, provided that he/she meets certain requirements required by Law:
- To have Spanish nationality;
- Be in a legal situation of unemployment (for example: dismissal, termination of contract, cessation or simply return from abroad);
- Be registered as a job seeker, remain registered while receiving the benefit, be available to actively seek employment, comply with the activity commitment;
- Have paid contributions in Spain for a minimum period of 360 days within the six years prior to the date of emigration, and that these contributions have not been taken into account to access a previous benefit.
- Not to be receiving another similar benefit in another country;
- Not to have reached the ordinary age required in each case to access the retirement benefit, unless it is not possible to access it because the required contribution period has not been reached
DURATION AND AMOUNT:
The duration depends on the contributions made within the 6 years prior to the date of emigration, provided that they were not taken into account for a previous benefit.
The daily amount of the unemployment benefit during the first six months is 70% of the regulatory base (calculated according to the occupational contingency bases of the last 180 days of contributions, except for overtime), and 50% from day 181 until the end of the benefit.
WHEN AND WHERE TO PROCESS IT:
It is important to take into account that the registration as a job seeker in the corresponding employment office by domicile, within fifteen working days following the date of return from abroad (it is advisable to provide the return ticket or other document that justifies it).
WHAT CAN WE DO FOR YOU?
If you have any doubts about this, you can contact us and our team specialized in internationalization will advise you and give you more information about applying for unemployment benefits if you have worked in the UK and want to return to Spain.